Meet Liz Miele
Liz Miele, originally from New Jersey, started doing stand-up at 16 in New York City. At 18 she was profiled in The New Yorker Magazine, at 22 she appeared on Comedy Central’s “Live at Gotham.” She recently appeared on AXS TV’s “Gotham Comedy Live” and was profiled in the March 2015 issue of Runner’s World. She regularly tours with the “Nobodies of Comedy” and Armed Forces Entertainment and just finished performing on a book tour for Chris McDougall, author of “Born to Run.” Her joke “Feminist Sex Positions” went viral both on YouTube and Upworthy.com. She just completed writing and producing season one of her animated web series “Damaged,” voiced by great comics including, Maz Jobrani, Hari Kondabolu, Ted Alexandro, Dean Edwards, DC Benny, Joe Machi and so many more.
On Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th, she will be at Stockholm Comedy Club!
I had the pleasure to talk to her about Sweden, cats and podcasts. Enjoy!
– What’s the best about performing in Sweden?
– I’ve only done like 5 shows in Sweden I think and they have all been amazing. Sweds are just really smart, attentive, hip audiences and I’m pretty sure they speak better english than I do. Love working in Sweden and wanna keep coming back and making more fans cause its always a rewarding experience.
– You are on your European tour right now and a lot if it is in UK. How is British humor different from American, if any?
– They seem to be more open to my dry, subtle sense of humor and not distracted or put off by the fact that I’m a woman (which for some reason seems to be a problem that I talk for a living in the states) I feel like I’m more accepted as I am in the UK and if I’m being really honest I don’t have to work as hard to convince people that I’m worth listening to off the bat. They are open right away and then after they hear me I really get them on board. Rather than in the states I have to really convince people to listen and its a up hill battle from the start.
– You really love cats, don’t you! So much so that they appear in your project “Declawed”. Tell us about that!
– I do! I’m a bit of a crazy cat lady. Both my parents are vets and own an animal hospital and I wrote a pilot about it and currently turning that pilot into a short film. Its about a girl that drops out of vet school to be a receptionist at her parents cat clinic (which I was for years) Its a dark comedy and a passion project!
– You appear on a lot of podcasts. Are you having your own as well? Where can we hear you next?
– I don’t have my own although I’ve thought about starting one but I am a guest on a lot of them. I was just on a UK podcast talking about my upcoming Edinburgh Festival Fringe run on On The Mic which you can listen to here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/on-the-mic/id1119360221?mt=2
But I have tons posted on my website too: http://lizmiele.com/press-podcasts/
So I’m in Sweden Stockholm Comedy Club then I head to the UK to do shows and previews of my new hour Mind Over Melee where I’ll be doing it in Edinburgh Aug 4-28th.
If you want to see Liz, make sure to get your ticket here (click).